What is DVBLink?
DVBLink is a software package that turns your Windows system or NAS into a Personal Video Recorder (PVR). DVBLink records all your favorite TV programs directly to the hard disk of a NAS or Windows PC and distributes live and recorded TV content to a variety of clients on your home network.
What is a typical DVBLink installation consists of?
Typical DVBLink installation consists of:
- a host system: Windows PC, NAS or Raspberry Pi
- DVBLink Server software package, running on a host system. DVBLink Server is a core free component of DVBLink product suit and acts as installer for other DVBLink products.
- DVBLink TV signal source product (DVBLink TVSource, DVBLink for IPTV etc. See the next FAQ question on signal source selection)
- Optionally one of the DVBLink EPG Loaders (See the next FAQ question on EPG loader selection)
- Optional tuner hardware (depends on the DVBLink TV signal source)
Which DVBLink TV signal source products exist and what are they for?
The choice of a DVBLink signal source product depends on your TV provider:
- If your TV signal comes from antenna (either satellite or terrestrial) or digital cable then you need DVBLink TVSource
- If you have IPTV signal then you need DVBLink for IPTV
- If you have a Dreambox at home then you can use it as a tuner with the help of DVBLink for Dreambox
Which TV signal types are supported by DVBLink TVSource?
DVBLink TVSource supports Terrestrial (DVB-T/T2 and ATSC), Cable (DVB-C and ClearQAM) and Satellite (DVB-S/S2) TV signals.
Which TV providers are supported by DVBLink on NAS platform?
The TV channels from the following TV providers have been reported as working:
- UPC Vienna, Austria (DVB-C, FTA)
- FreeSat UK channels from Astra 28 (DVB-S/S2, FTA)
- FreeView UK channels (DVB-T/T2, FTA)
- Public German channels from Astra 19 (DVB-S/S2, FTA)
- KabelBW, Germany (DVB-C, FTA - basic channel package)
- T-Home Entertain, Germany (IPTV, FTA)
- Ziggo, Netherlands (DVB-C, encrypted, working with TBS 5680CI tuner)
- UPC, Netherlands (DVB-C, FTA - basic channel package)
- CanalDigitaal, Netherlands (DVB-S/S2, encrypted, with TBS 5980 CI tuner)
- Caiway, Netherlands (DVB-C FTA)
- OnsBrabantNet, Netherlands (DVB-C FTA and IPTV FTA)
- Czech Republic
- UPC, Czech Rep.(DVB-C, encrypted, working with TT CT-3650CI and TBS5680CI)
- Yousee, Denmark (DVB-C, FTA)
- UPC, Poland (DVB-C, FTA - START HD)
- Sappa, Sweden (DVB-C, encrypted, working with TBS 5680CI tuner)
- Imagenio, Spain (IPTV, FTA)
If TV channels from your TV provider are working with DVBLink on a NAS platform, but not on the list above - please let us know (either on forum, via e-mail or on twitter/Facebook)!
What is DVBLink EPG Loader and do I need it?
All DVBLink TV signal sources contain two built-in mechanisms for EPG retrieval:
- Parsing EPG information that is sent by a TV provider with the stream. This is the default method of operations and, if EPG information is sent, there is nothing extra that you should do. DVBLink software will parse EPG from the stream and it will automatically appears in the clients after some time (usually after about 30 minutes).
- Parsing XMLTV data files
If EPG information, provided by the methods above, is not complete, you may use one of the DVBLink EPG Loaders to fetch EPG data from internet EPG provider. This is a paid service (yearly subscription, prices vary depending on the EPG provider). However you usually get much better quality EPG data, including series information, large descriptions, thumbnails, crew information, genre etc.
Currently DVBLink supports integration with the following Internet EPG providers:
- Digiguide (covers UK TV channels)
- EpgData.com (covers German, Austrian and Swiss TV channels)
- TimeFor.TV (pan-European EPG provider, with a special focus on Nordic coutries)
- PercData.com (covers US and Canadian TV channels)
- IceTV (covers Australian TV channels)
The exact channel coverage for each internet EPG provider can be found on our How To's page;
Which platforms are supported by DVBLink?
DVBLink runs on the following platforms:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 (please note that Windows Server OS is not officially supported)
- NAS (Supported NAS brands and models)
- Raspberry Pi (wheezy and openelec distributions)
What do I need to configure DVBLink for IPTV?
To configure DVBLink for IPTV you need a playlist with the channels of your TV provider.
DVBLink for IPTV includes playlists for some IPTV providers, like T-Home Entertain in Germany or Imagenio in Spain. If your IPTV provider is not listed under pre-installed playlists, please contact your IPTV provider to get one.
Please note that currently DVBLink for IPTV can only play non-encrypted (FTA) channels.
Can I watch encrypted (PayTV) channels using DVBLink on a NAS platform?
There is no general answer to this question. It is possible to watch PayTV channels of some TV providers using TBS 5980 CI DVB-S/S2 and TBS 5680 CI DVB-C tuners. Please check the CAM compatibility list if your CAM is present there: .
What should I do if my question is not answered here?
If your question is still not answered - register at our forums and ask the question there! You will get a response from the qualified technical people or other enthusiastic users of our products.
What tuner hardware is needed for DVBLink TVSource, running on a Windows PC?
The brands of supported TV tuners on Windows platform are listed on the product description page: .
What tuner hardware is needed for DVBLink TVSource, running on NAS?
The exact brands and models of the tuners for each supported NAS platform are listed on DVBLink TVSource product description web page for this NAS platform. To get there, go to , select your platform and then go to the DVBLink TVSource product page.
For DVB-C and DVB-S/S2 signal reception we recommend buying a tuner in our hardware shop:
These tuners are tested and guaranteed to work on all supported NAS platforms. Plus you will get 50% discount on the DVBLink TVSource software.
How many tuners can I use together with DVBLink on a NAS platform?
The maximum number of tuners is only limited by processing power available in a NAS.
From our experience even on the entry level NAS models you can reliably run up to four tuners.
Can I use tuners of the different types in the same DVBLink installation?
Yes, with DVBLink you can mix and match tuners of different types (dvb-t/t2/c/s/2/atsc/qam) and different manufacturers.
Which clients can I use to watch TV from DVBLink installation?
DVBLink supports the following clients for watching lie and recorded TV:
- DLNA clients
- XBMC 12.0 or higher with DVBLink PVR addon
- Windows MediaCenter
- DVBLink apps for iOS and Android
- Plex clients (with DVBLink addon for Plex Media Server)
- VLC in combination with DVBLink web interface
The full list of clients with screenshots and download links can be found at our wiki: 
Do I need to pay for the clients to watch live and recorded TV from the DVBLink installation?
No, all clients are for free. You only need to purchase the server side software.
How many clients can simultaneously watch live or recorded TV from the DVBLink server?
The number of simultaneous clients, watching live or recorded TV, is limited to 8 (eight) clients.
Also number of clients, watching live TV, is limited to a number of tuners, available in the system (if it is less than 8).
Please note that currently only single channel per tuner can be watched or recorded.
Can I watch live or recoded TV over the internet?
Reliable watching live or recorded TV over the internet is only supported for DVBLink server running on Windows platform. This platform is capable of transcoding (changing) video into a lower bitrate, allowing it to be sent over low-bandwidth mobile networks.
If your upload bandwitch (from you home) is good enough - e.g. 10 mb/s or higher - then you can also watch original (not transcoded) live and recorded content over the internet.
Please note that to watch live or recorded TV over the internet you need to open several ports on your router as described here .
Can I schedule timer recording over the Internet?
Yes, timer recording management over the internet is possible with all our clients.
Can I test DVBLink software before purchasing it?
Yes of course! All DVBLink products can be tested for 20 days with free fully functional trial mode.
This trial mode can be activated immediately after product installation as described on our wiki: 
Please contact us is you need a longer trial or would like your trial period to be reset.
How can I save money when buying DVBLink software?
You can get 50% off DVBLink TVSource price if you buy DVBLink TVSource for NAS platform together with the tuner hardware in our hardware webshop .
It is not only cheaper, but also tuner is tested and guaranteed to work on your NAS.
Will I get future upgrades and updates for my purchased DVBLink products for free?
All future updates (software releases that do not change the major version number) are free for all purchased DVBLink products.
Upgrades (software releases with increased major version number) are not free, but available with the discount for customers using previous versions of the DVBLink products.
What is your refund policy?
Read about our refund policy here .